In Windows, there is a setting in the Power Options control panel which allows you to put your computer into “sleep” mode when it’s not being used.
In sleep mode, the power button on your laptop will turn off but internal components are still working so that if someone were to walk up and try and use it they would find their laptop just like they left it.
The “how to close laptop and use monitor windows 11” is a tutorial that will show you how to keep your laptop on when closed in Windows 11.
When you shut the lid of your laptop computer, Windows 11 will Hibernate or sleep by default. It’s set up that way by default so that consumers can easily Hibernate or sleep their laptops by just shutting the lid while on the move, preventing battery depletion or overheating.
Others, on the other hand, who use their laptops with a second display wish to keep their monitors turned on and their computers operating when they shut the lid. If you want your laptop to remain up and functioning after you close the lid, set the lid closure action to nothing. This will prevent your laptop from going into hibernation, sleeping, or shutting down when you close the lid.
This post will teach you how to customize what Windows does when your laptop lid closes.
Also see: How to Stop Windows 11 From Sleeping or Turning Off the Screen
When the lid is closed, how can I keep the laptop running and the display on with Windows 11?
1. Go to Start and look for Control Panel.
2. Select Hardware and Sound from the control panel window.
3. Select Power Options on the following screen.
4. From the left pane, choose “Choose what the power buttons do.”
5. Click the drop-down menu next to “When I shut the lid” and pick Don’t do anything for both the “On battery” and “Plugged in” choices. When you shut the lid of your laptop, regardless of whether it’s on battery or plugged in, Windows 11 will Don’t do anything. To save your changes, go to the bottom of the settings box and click Save changes.
Choose an alternative action such as sleep, Hibernate, or shutdown under “On battery” for the “When I close the lid” option if you want Windows to Don’t do anything when you close the lid only when your laptop is plugged in but not on battery.
Tip: You can also customise and choose what Windows should do when you hit the Power or Sleep buttons from here. The following are the choices:
- Don’t do anything
- Turn it off.
- Turn off the television.
When the lid is closed, keep the laptop on but turn off the display.
The “Don’t do anything” option will keep your laptop running and monitor on. If you only want to keep your laptop on but monitor off, select “Turn off the television.” instead. If this option is selected and when the condition is met, Windows will keep your laptop running but turn off your monitor.
When the lid is closed, the laptop does not remain awake.
If Windows 11 does not keep your laptop on when you close its lid even after selecting “Don’t do anything” for the “when I close the lid” setting, do the following to force turn off hibernation entirely in Windows 11.
1. Go to Start and type “CMD” or “command prompt” into the search box. From the list of results, right-click Command Prompt and choose “Run as administrator.” To run the following command, you’ll need administrative rights.
2. To switch off hibernation in Windows 11, type the following command in the Command Prompt window.
/hibernate off Powercfg
Now, try to close your laptop’s lid again. Your laptop should keep running and stay awake if you have selected “Don’t do anything” for the close lid action and disabled Hibernate. To revert the changes and turn on Hibernate again, repeat the steps above and enter the following command instead.
/hibernate on Powercfg
Description for sharing: A guide on how to change the lid close action to “Don’t do anything” in Windows 11 to keep laptop running and monitor on when lid is closed.
Nyau Wai Hoe updated this page on February 23, 2022.
The “hibernate vs sleep windows 11” is a question that many people have. The difference between the two is that “sleep” will put your computer to sleep when it’s closed, while “hibernate” will shut down and restart Windows with your data saved.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I keep Windows 11 from going to sleep?
A: Unfortunately, there is no way to make Windows 11 stay awake permanently. However, Microsoft has released a utility that will allow you to tweak your computers performance settings so they dont automatically go into sleep mode after a period of inactivity.
How do I keep my laptop running while closed?
A: There are many ways to keep your laptop running while closed. You can run it on battery power, plug in an external monitor and use that to see what is happening, or you could get a desktop replacement with a lot of ports.
Why does my laptop lid turn off when I close Windows 11?
A: This is a bug with the OS, not your hardware.
- how to keep monitor on when laptop is closed windows 10
- windows 11 lid open action
- windows 11 lid open action missing
- how to keep monitor on when laptop is open
- windows 11 laptop not sleeping when closed